A native to Chicagoland, I have been involved in the fitness industry since 1981. As a member of the NPC (National Physique Committee), I began my fitness journey competing in multiple National Amateur Body Building contests, placing second in a national qualifying event in my very first contest. It was then that I knew that a passionate relationship with fitness would always be part of my life.
Certifications and Achievements
- Group Exercise Instructor Certification, NETA -National Exercise Trainers Assoc. and ACE -American Council on Exercise
- Master Level Personal Trainer and Certified Personal Trainer Certifications, ISSA- International Sport Sciences Association
- Certified Older Active Adult and Special Populations Trainer, AIFE- American Institute of Fitness Educators.
- Top 25 Finalist for Exercise TV’s “Exercise TV Personality” contest.
- Founder of Oakhurst Fitness Community Exercise Group
- Publisher and trainer of “Short Burst Workouts” DVD and online media.
- Co-author – “Choices Revealed by Successful Entrepreneurs”
- Motivational Speaker
- Owner of Fitness Vision Studio
Why a Lifetime Dedication to Fitness?
In 1987, I was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa, an incurable genetic eye condition, which could leave me totally blind. This inspired me to re-examine my priorities – I left a 12 year career as an interior designer, and began the process of adapting my life to deal with gradual permanent vision loss. I also decided to put all of my energy into advancing my career in fitness. The result has been a very personal understanding of life’s challenges in attaining long term health and fitness, and the value of embodying a healthy lifestyle. My goal is to extend this understanding to my clients – inspiring them through compassion, and guiding them with individualized fitness programs that help them realize a new relationship with fitness.
As a Master Level Certified Personal Trainer and group exercise instructor in Chicago’s western suburbs, I have been fortunate to share my vision and my expertise for several years. In 2014, I took the next step and opened my personal studio, Fitness Vision Studio, in order to further my clients’ fitness goals with one on one in-depth guidance (available by appointment only). I specialize in overall fitness, functional and post rehab fitness training, nutritional awareness, and fitness for special populations including older active adults and those with special considerations or disabilities.
While focusing on individualized one-on-one training, I also want to spread my message to a wider audience – so I created the “Short Burst Workouts” DVD, as well as becoming an author and motivational speaker. My goal is to connect to both my clients and the public in the most authentic, personal and inspirational way possible, thereby empowering them to go further on their personal journey with fitness.
In my spare time, I support my husband, Duane, in his passion for BBQ by competing in BBQ contests across the Midwest. I also enjoy spending time with family, audio books, and working outside in my garden.